Thursday, October 15, 2009

Ease Your Mind With A Naptime Shake

When I received an email announcing The Naptime Shake's Blood And Panic I wasn't sure what to do. I know their singer Noah Bailey through writing with the Observer and I was kinda afraid of what would happen if I didn't like it. But, my fear was eased from the first track of the album.

Once I got Blood and Panic started, the first track "Nourishment" reminded me of two things: Dr. Pepper and Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas--two things that always make-ah-me happy.

Don't get me wrong, not every track on the album is a winner, but, the band connects more times that it whiffs. I like the twanged-up ragtime sound of "Honeybear" and "Ease My Mind." It's not a sound that you often hear, if ever, coming from a twang band from The D. Oh, and did I mention they rock the kazoo on "Wolves And Water?" I didn't? Well, I should. Not since Old Crow's Eutaw album have I heard a kazoo... on anything... of any kind. But, I digress.

There are several tracks on Blood... that are really good songs, the first five songs on the album come to mind...

Noah can rest easy knowing he's joined the ranks of Neil Tennant and Chrissie Hynde as music journalists who've moved behind the mic and onto the stage and don't suck at it.

MP3: The Naptime Shake - Nourishment
MP3: The Naptime Shake - Ease My Mind

No comments: