Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Interview With The Weepies

Through the magic of email I recently had the opportunity to chat with Deb Talan and Steve Tannen, known collectively as The Weepies. I've been captivated by them ever since I received their album Hideaway in the mail. From the beginning I was blown away by the warm folk-pop sounds that spewed from my speakers.

So, like I said, I got to speak with them a little bit, so I hope you enjoy.

You can check out the interview and mp3 after the jump.


Since you have a youngster is touring not something you guys are
interested in?

Of course we’re interested! I t’s just more complex now that there’s an under-one year old in the mix – it’s a matter of making it work financially, family-wise and schedule-wise.

Has it been hard to be able to practice, record or rehearse with the baby around? I would imagine it would be hard to do anything musical when it's his nap time.

What we’re going through must be similar to what many new parents go through. After the first few all-consuming months where you get nothing done except caring for the baby, you wind up doing things a slightly different way. Now that Theo sleeps through the night it’s easier.

"Antarctica" is my favorite track on the album. Ever since I first heard it I've been trying to figure out what it's about. It seems like it could be about a fresh start or actually about Antarctica. So, what's it about?

Thanks! Respectfully, we’d rather leave it up to the listener. We’ve heard authors and songwriters try to explain their work before - it’s a mistake.

Is it hard being in a band where your musical partner is your partner in life?

No. It’s awesome. Seriously.

I got a call from my brother the other night really excited about "Can't Go Back Now" being used in a new Barack Obama ad. How did that come about? Are you guys supporters of his?

We haven’t seen that ad yet! Through Nettwerk we told the Obama campaign that as far as we were concerned they could use whatever they wanted. We’re happy to be of help. Yes, we whole heartedly support Obama.

Now for my totally lame question: What inspires you to make music?

We’re obsessive compulsive writers. We write all the time. We don’t know why. We feel very uncomfortable when we’re not writing.

What do you listen to when you're out on the road?

When it was just the two of us in a car on the last really long tour, we couldn’t agree on ANY music – we finally compromised on Books On Tape (The Lord of the Rings was a big hit).

I found your record immediately infectious, do you guys hear that a lot about your music--that people can't really get enough of it?

Thank you! One of the things about not being able to tour behind the new record is there’s very little feedback. It’s great to get.

You guys have such an amazing story of how you got together. Do you feel that working together and living together has made your music better?

We hope so! Looking back, it seems sort of inevitable.

If you weren't making music what do you think you would be doing?

Deb would be driving a backhoe. As for Steve, you know those guys in the flower print shirts drunk in bars in places like Manila? That would have been a distinct possibility.

Do you think you will be doing any touring soon? I hope so, 'cause I'd love to see you here in Dallas.

We will let you know!! Thanks for taking the time for us.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cool interview! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Great interview! Thanks for posting it.