Thursday, August 20, 2009

Trey Johnson Mount Pelee

As I popped in Mount Pelee I had already decided I was not going to like this album. I once met Trey Johnson at The Barley House and made the mistake of going up to talk to him. Needless to say, it was one of those moments fans of a band fear most... members of the band are dicks. And that night, is exactly what Johnson was, it soured me on Sorta for a long time.

However, in my steadfast belief that I would not like this album, I like it from the first note of "Old Reactions."

After the death of bandmate I expected Mount Pelee to be a collection of somber, introspective songs lamenting the death of a friend and reflections of life. However, I was pleasantly surprised at the pop-rock that runs throughout the record. "Bottle of Rum" channels a mainland version of Jimmy Buffett so much that you can almost hear waves crashing in the background. The closest song coming to what I was expecting is "Struggle To Find," it's the introspective ballad I was expecting and it's not disappointing. Touching on the things in life that are worth living for, it makes sense that it was included on this album.

Honestly, from beginning to end this is a fantastic record and I feel fine saying it.


1 comment:

burton 2 said...

how old is it???????????????????????