Friday, May 23, 2008

Grand Archives

I have finally been able to listen to the new Grand Archives album and I’m way beyond impressed. The opening track “Torn Blue Foam Couch” is phenomenal. I know Mat Brooks was in Band of Horses for a short time, but, they really don’t really sound exactly like BoH, more of they have similarities. Brooks and Ben Bridwell, of BoH, have vocal similarities. But, I think Brooks has the better pipes of the two. And they aren’t completely drenched in reverb.

“Setting Sun” has the southern rock tendencies you would associate with BoH and its pulled off very nicely. “Sleep Driving” is probably my favorite track on the album. It reminds me of a indie version of “Mama I’m Coming Home” by Oswald Osbourne. I’m not sure why, but it does.

They will be playing a show with the wonderful Sera Cahoone and Denton’s own Sarah Jaffe at The Cavern on 6/22. You can get your tickets here.

No comments: