Monday, January 12, 2009

J.D. Whittenburg

This past Saturday I trekked down to Club Dada to interview Travis Hopper from Elkhart (more on that later).  However, during the course of the evening I ended up meeting J.D. Whittenburg and got his eponymous solo CD.  Like most albums I get I listen to them while I play Madden to get the vibe down.  I had heard a couple of his songs on his website, but, listening to it on a home stereo did the tracks even more justice.

His sound, to me, is reminiscent of late 70's pop-rock, singer-songwriter music.  Most of the songs on his disc pertain to some aspect of a relationship...in trouble.  It was nice to hear songs that seem to come from an honest place--and to relate them to places you've been in life.  

There are quite a few stand out tracks.  However, my favorite had to "San Francisco."  For one reason or another it just kinda grabbed me by the balls and wouldn't let go.  

2 comments:

"The Ghost" said...

Personally, I'm more of a "Secrets That You Keep" kinda guy, but that whole album is pretty darn amazing. Although I don't think we've met, any friend of Cindy's is good in my book. Hope to meet you at some point.

Bona Fide Darling said...

I'm sure we will be meeting soon, good sir.