Sunday, September 7, 2008

Travis Barker/DJ AM Mixin' It Up

I read a post a few weeks ago about Travis Barker and DJ AM hooking up to do like a live mash-up kind of thing.  I didn't really think much of it until I saw them on the VMA's tonight.  Yes, I know...there's nothing on.  But, they did their thing on "Wonderwall" by Oasis.  AM worked out the vocals and Barker laid down the beat.  I was impressed by the lil' snippet I was able to see of them.  

So, I found the original post because it said they were giving away a free mixtape called Fix Your Face.  So, I downloaded the mixtape and was floored.  The duo crosses about 50 genres in the span of the set.  You would think it would sound like shit cramming all the different styles into one song...but, that isn't the case.  My instant favorite was "Fix Your Face 3" which goes from "Block Rockin' Beats" by the Chemical Brothers and slams into "Killing in The Name" by Rage Against the Machine.  It has a great vocoder over the grinding guitar of the original while Barker, again, lays the beat down.  

What did I learn from this?  I need to not be such a hater all the time.  You can go here and either listen to the tracks or simply sign up and you'll be able to download the mixtape.  I suggest downloading it.

2 comments:

Subservient Experiment said...

I downloaded this today. Pretty cool stuff. I'm a big fan of all the Travis Barker vids on youtube too. I had to go get a drum set shortly after seeing his 'remix' of Busta's "Don't Touch Me". Thx for the tip, this is bound to be the soundtrack to the houseparty I'm gonna be at on Fri.

=w=
healthryder.blogspot.com

Bona Fide Darling said...

After hearing the reworking of "Wonderwall" they did last night on the VMA's I was hoping that was going to be on here too. But, even though it wasn't I thought this was a pretty sweet mixtape. I like the diverse line-up of artists used.