Friday, April 18, 2008

The Weepies - Hideaway

It’s been a really good couple of months for new music. So, when I received the new Weepies CD, Hideaway, in my mailbox I was interested. I was familiar with the husband and wife team, Deb Talan and Steve Tannen, but, hadn’t really had a proper introduction to them. But, I must admit that I was a little apprehensive to give them a try because of their connection to Mandy Moore. And, I knew she was a fan of them who tracked them down to help her write her last album.

They have an acoustic sound that is really good. It’s not quite entirely folk, more like a pop/folk. But, anyway you look at it Hideaway is a fantastic album. Stand out tracks on the album are the debut single “Hideaway,” “Orbiting,” “Little Bird” and "Antarctica.” I can’t tell you enough how much I love, love, love “Antarctica.” The harmonies on that tune are top fn notch, it’s a really, really good song that warrants repeat listening.

The album as a whole is really top notch. I think the album is at it’s best when Deb is singing the songs. Steve has a good voice and is more than capable of carrying a song by himself. I like the whole album, but, for me Deb’s tracks are the ones that really stand out.

From what I can tell they are not currently on tour. But, I’m hoping that The Weepies will be heading into town for a show. You can get their new CD here.

The Weepies - Hideaway (mp3)

No comments: