Wednesday, July 9, 2008

New American Standard

NPRs "Here & Now" recently did a segment on “New Standards” in popular music. You know, like Big Band or Jazz standards? C’mon kids! Anyway, the focused on what they believe to be a new standard for string bands, the Old Crow Medicine Show’s instant classic “Wagon Wheel.” I remember when my brother saw OCMS play it on Conan O’Brien four or five years ago and he sent me like 5 text messages at 1230AM. Then won a visit to his place I finally heard them and wasn’t completely hooked until I heard “Wagon Wheel” close out their first Nettwerk disc O.C.M.S. From there I was completely hooked on this bluegrass/country/blues string band from Ithaca, NY.

If you listen to their “Here & Now” segment you will know why I love this song so much. Main Crow Ketch Secor describes how the song went from just a chorus on a Bob Dylan bootleg to a new American classic. I could’ve shown you the main video, which you can watch here; but, in its stead I will show you the short clip from the Granada show I saw them at a few years ago. Unless you just really don’t like music you will see why this song is so great.

You can hear the NPR segment here.





And just for shit's and giggles:
MP3: Against Me! - Wagon Wheel from PROTECT: A Benefit for the National Association to Protect Children

No comments: