Monday, November 24, 2008

What's The Big Deal?

I've read a couple of different articles (here and here) the last few days bashing Paste for tapping Vol. 1 by She & Him as their best for 2008. Maybe bashing is to strong of a word, but, I definitely get a sense of "wtf?!"

I got this album shortly after it came out and was blown away by how good it actually was. This isn't Scarlett Johansson trying to record. Nor is it that chick from Desperate Housewives who thinks she can sing. Zooey Dechanel proves she actually has some musical and vocal talent throughout the Vol. 1 and I just don't get what all the bashing is about. "This Is Not A Test" is one of the best songs I've heard all year; and their version of "You Really Got A Hold On Me" is stunning.

I'm assuming all the hub bub is because Dechanel is an actress first and a singer second. Ok, I get that. Sure, it's not super-indie like Vampire Weekend or Sufjan Stevens, but, you can't deny the talent and chemistry she and M. Ward have on this album.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that agreed with Paste's pick. I guess that since it's a debut (and Deschanel's debut in music, too) people think it doesn't beat the new Sigur Ros or whatnot. But that album has something that none of the others do... Sounds like nothing else that's out there right now. I'm talking about PURE songs. Music-making and its finest.

It's a #1 album to me.

Subservient Experiment said...

I got this album the week it came out as well. I love Deschanel's singing and did even before this album (ELF soundtrack, etc.) While I think this album is good it's not exceptionally ground-breaking or all that unique even. It's probably a top-tenner, but #1? That might be a stretch for me.

=w=

Bona Fide Darling said...

SE, I see your point and I agree it's definitely a top tenner. But, I think people would've had something bad to say even it was in the top ten.