Thursday, November 6, 2008

Cover Tunes

I was reading over at Gobbler's Knob about the new Waylon CD, Waylon Forever and so I checked out the songs that were on it.  I was more than a little surprised when I saw he covered Cream's "White Room."  I guess I shouldn't be to surprised since ol' Shooter is the one behind the project.  Anyhoo, it got me to thinking about good cover tunes I've heard and what makes a good cover.

A good cover doesn't always have to be complete reworking of the origninal, but, it usually helps.  A friend of mine turned me on to a cover of  Outkast's "Hey Ya!" by one Obadiah Parker.  It's a great version, but, I can't help but think that chicks would really dig this.  Then, there is the completely awesome version of Dolly Parton's "Jolene" that The White Stripe perform.  

So, here are some of my favorite recent cover tunes.

No comments: