Thursday, October 16, 2008

Those Crazy Butthole Surfers!

A few weeks ago I told you guys about the totally rad story Jeff Liles recounted about working with Screamin' Jay Hawkins and his days in early Deep Ellum. Well, this week edition of Echoes and Reverberations Jeff tells the story of a Butthole Surfers show he saw at the old Theater Gallery around '86 or '87-ish. Now, I'm going to be honest and let you know I never really got into the Surfers. The only exposure I have ever had to them was the song "Pepper" and Gibby being featured on Fearless Freaks saying a Flaming Lips show is pretty much a Butthole Surfers show. I guess I missed the boat on the greatness of Gibby Haynes.

But, Jeff's story is such a great story about what one guy thinks was the beginning of the Deep Ellum revival. I honestly can't wait until his next story comes out because he seems to have been there, done that when it comes to the Dallas music scene. The Butthole Surfers will be playing the Granada Theater next Wednesday, October 22.

Plus, you should read the article to find out whey this happened:

“After he was done screaming at me until he was blue in the face, Gibby literally went upstairs to the loft space above the dressing room and took a shit on the floor--right in front of the room where the TG lighting guy lived,” Castell says.

No comments: